Experience the natural beauty of Tromso and Senja on this 5-night independent journey that is a photographer's idyll. Tromso offers a great adventure of small city life atmosphere and winter activities including northern light searches. Then head south to Senja and marvel at the sheer beauty of this fairytale island and enjoy arctic nature in a peaceful unspoilt environment yet to be discovered by the masses.
Who for? Wildlife and photography enthusiasts on the look out for northern lights!
- Charming Tromso, dubbed the 'Paris of the North'
- Beautiful nature of Senja Island
- Great locations for aurora sightings
- Winter activities including whale watching safari
Tromso is a delightful place to spend time during the winter season. With many attractions and activities to keep you busy during the day and plenty of opportunities to go out searching for the northern lights in the evening, your time here will fly by.
After two days of fun filled action, you head south on a express ferry twice a week for a short journey to Finnsnes, the gateway to Senja, Norway's second largest island and well known for its varied landscape. On arrival you are met and transferred to the historical fishing village of Hamn I Senja, now a holiday resort spectacularly placed on the west coast of the island. The fjords on the outer coast of Senja are surrounded by impressive scenery, where majestic mountain ranges plunge into the sea. Senja is an experience of raw nature, and you will never run out of photo subjects during your stay.
The 3 night stay on Senja is a good mix of exciting excursions, excellent accommodation and time to relax and enjoy the magnificent surrounds in a prime location for viewing the northern lights.
This inclusive tour at Hamn I Senja includes half board, a whale or wildlife safari, bathing in floatation suits and sauna, an evening snowshoe tour and two nights on a northern light watch from a lighthouse with reindeer skins and hot drinks to keep you warm. There are other optional activities available to take during your stay here.
On the return back to Tromso, you have the choice of the express ferry or the Hurtigruten cruise with more time to enjoy the rugged coastline and the facilities on board.
The whale safari operates in January only, other times will be the wildlife safari. The 3-night tour to Senja is based on Monday or Friday arrivals, but flexible programs can also be tailor made to your requirements. Please call our Travel Specialists for more information.
During the winter season (considered the low season) if the hotel has a very low occupancy it may close the Restaurant and bar facilities at short notice. In this situation meals will be provided as room service in guests rooms and drinks can be purchased from the hotel reception. All other activities will continue to operate as planned.
Contact our Norway experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Arrive Tromso
- Fly to Tromso and upon arrival make your way to your city hotel (payable locally). Spend the next two nights in Tromso on bed and breakfast basis.
- Day 2: At leisure in Tromso
- Visit the attractions on offer in this wonderful town and enjoy the many cafes and restaurants available or take part in one of the optional day or evening activities - keeping a look out for the northern lights!
- Day 3: Tromso - Finnsnes
- The morning is free to continue exploring Tromso. In the afternoon you leave Tromso and head for Finnsnes by express boat (journey time 1 hour 20 minutes). You are met on arrival and driven to Hamn I Senja, the destination for the next 3 nights on half board basis. After dinner you take part in a northern lights watch at the hotels lighthouse just a short walk away, with panoramic views whilst keeping warm with hot chocolate.
- Day 4: Wildlife Safari
- In the morning join a Wildlife Safari (Whale Safari in January) heading out into the fjord on the look out for sea eagles, seals and other arctic wildlife. After lunch the afternoon is free to relax and enjoy the area or perhaps join an optional activity available. Following dinner you have another chance for aurora hunting at the lighthouse.
- Day 5: Arctic bathing and snowshoe tour
- Get kitted out in floatation suits for arctic bathing in the harbour followed by a sauna back at the hotel. The afternoon is free to relax. After the 3 course dinner learn the skill of using snow shoes and take a guided walk in the surrounding area - don't forget to keep watch for clear skies and the dancing lights.
- Day 6: Return to Tromso
- Take the morning transfer back to Finnsnes in time for the express boat or a Hurtigruten cruise option back to Tromso and your onward journey home. Alternatively spend an extra night or two in the city to experience more of this arctic destination.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Jan to Mar 2018|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a double room. Child prices on request
Price includes return flights from London Heathrow to Tromso via Oslo with Scandinavian Airlines; all airport taxes and surcharges; 2 nights accommodation at Scandic Ishavshotel on breakfast basis; express ferry from Tromso harbour to Finnsnes; transfer to Hamn I Senja; 3 nights accommodation in an suite on half board basis; 2 nights northern lights search at the lighthouse; wildlife (or whale safari in Jan); arctic bathing in floatation suits; evening snow shoe tour; transfer back to Finnsnes; express ferry to Tromso.
Price excludes transfer to and from the airport; meals unless otherwise stated; optional winter activities in Tromso and Senja; Hurtigruten cruise from Finnsnes to Tromso.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.