Experience the best of the Western Cape on this short break encompassing the ‘mother city’ of South Africa; Cape Town and the charming winelands town of Franschhoek.
- Spend three nights in the remarkably beautiful city of Cape Town
- Cable car up Table Mountain for spectacular views over Cape Town and the peninsula (optional)
- View a breeding colony of over 2000 endangered African penguins at Boulders Beach (optional)
- Discover South Africa’s turbulent past with a visit to Robben Island (optional)
- Stay in the charming town of Franschhoek in the Cape Winelands
- Enjoy wine tasting at several wine estates on a hop-on hop-off wine tram or by bike (optional)
This 6-day self-drive holiday in South Africa starts in the spectacular city of Cape Town. Spend three nights in this magnificent city; options include discovering the Cape Peninsula on a guided tour, photographing comical African penguins at Boulders Beach and dining out at the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Then, head to the Cape Winelands region where you can sample some of South Africa’s famous wine and relax and take in the picturesque surrounds.
Contact our Southern Africa experts now
Extend your stay
This holiday can be easily combined with Kruger, Victoria Falls or a rail journey on the world-famous Rovos Rail to allow you to see all the highlights of Southern Africa in one trip. Please contact us for more information.
Gaining a birds eye view of the beautiful Cape Town is one of the best things I have experienced. The helicopter takes off from the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront before circling out past Table Mountain. From this height you gain a real understanding of the layout of the city dominated by Table Mountain, Lions Head and signal hill. On a clear day you can see Robben Island and well into the winelands. Great for those short on time and looking for a memorable highlight.Rhys Watkins, Southern Africa Travel Specialist
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: arrive Cape Town
- Arrive at Cape Town International Airport, where you will receive your rental vehicle. Make your way into Cape Town, the ‘mother city’ of South Africa. Cape Town's coastal setting is jaw-dropping; this remarkably beautiful city nestled at the base of Table Mountain has a lot to offer and you will spend three nights here giving you plenty of time to sample its main attractions.
- Days 2-3: explore Cape Town
- You have two full days to explore Cape Town. We highly recommend taking a cable car to the top of Cape Town’s iconic Table Mountain for superb views over the city and the Cape Peninsula, or for those more active, you may wish to hike up the mountain. Perhaps visit the breeding colony of over 2000 endangered African penguins at Boulders Beach, or discover historic Robben Island, the former prison where Nelson Mandela was famously incarcerated for 18 years.
- Day 4: Cape Town - Franschhoek
- Depart Cape Town and travel along Route 62, the longest wine route in the world, heading to the town of Franschhoek where you will spend the next two nights. Franschhoek dates back to the 17th century when the French Huguenots arrived. Billed as the food and wine capital of South Africa, this charming town located in a most picturesque valley, retains a French Huguenot style.
- Day 5: discover the Cape Winelands
- Today is free to enjoy wine tasting at several of the best wine estates of the region. The Wine Tram hop-on hop-off tour (optional, at additional cost) is one of the best ways to discover the true essence of the Franschhoek Valley – picturesque vineyards, breathtaking scenery, warm hospitality, world-class cuisine and fine wines. Passengers aboard the hop-on hop-off tour will experience a unique and leisurely way to see the Franschhoek Valley as they journey through rolling vineyards in an open-side tram and open-air tram-bus stopping in at some of South Africa’s oldest and most distinguished wine estates. For those wanting to be more active, you may be interested in a cycle tour around the Franschhoek area and local vineyards.
- Day 6: Franschhoek - Cape Town Airport
- Drive to Cape Town Airport where your holiday ends.
Cape Town Hollow, Cape Town
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Cape Town Hollow is a large, boutique hotel in the heart…
Upgrade to stay at the Twelve Apostles
Dramatically located above the Atlantic Ocean, flanked by the majestic Twelve Apostles and Table Mountain, this luxury hotel boasts spectacular views.
ExcursionsFrom a cable car up Table Mountain to a cycling tour of the Cape Winelands, South Africa offers a range of optional activities you can choose to include on this holiday. Contact our Travel Specialists for more information.
Prices & Dates
Prices from per person
|Standard accommodation||Superior accommodation||Deluxe accommodation|
5 nights standard accommodation on a bed & breakfast basis ● 6 days Toyota Corolla Quest (or similar) car rental
International flights • Additional meals and excursions not specified above ● Travel insurance • Gratuities
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.