Step back in time and discover one of the best railway journeys in the world. Travel from Pretoria to Cape Town aboard the opulent Rovos Rail. Take in its colonial charm as you enjoy sumptuous meals, witness South Africa’s spectacular scenery and visit Kimberley and Matjiesfontein en route.
- Travel from Pretoria to Cape Town on one of the most luxurious trains in the world
- Visit Kimberley, the diamond capital of South Africa
- Discover the perfectly preserved Victorian railway village of Matjiesfontein
- Enjoy superb cuisine with all meals and drinks included
This 1,600-kilometre meander on the ‘Pride of Africa’ is a perfect illustration of South Africa as a world in one country - travel the grasslands of the gold-rich Highveld to the haunting barrenness of the Great Karoo, trundle through the spectacular mountain ranges and scenic winelands of the Cape.
The train stops in Kimberley providing an opportunity to visit the Diamond Mine Museum and the world’s largest man-made excavation, the Big Hole. You will also explore the historic village of Matjiesfontein, before the journey ends in the ‘Mother City’ of South Africa; Cape Town.
In keeping with the bygone era of the train there are no televisions, radios or Internet access. For days on the train dress is smart casual. Evening attire is more formal – for gentlemen a jacket and tie is a minimum requirement while for ladies we suggest cocktail/evening dresses or suits.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: board the Pride of Africa
- Depart from the Rovos Rail station in Pretoria mid-afternoon and get settled into your cabin on board Rovos Rail. The journey starts by travelling south via Johannesburg through the goldfields of the Witwatersrand. Watch the world pass by as you enjoy afternoon tea served in the lounge and observation cars. This evening, a gong will herald dinner; served in the charming Victorian atmosphere of the dining car(s) and complemented by a selection of fine South African wines.
- Day 2: visit the Big Hole & Diamond Museum in Kimberley
- This morning, the train stops in Kimberley. Leaving the train you will visit the Big Hole and the Diamond Museum. At its peak during the late 1800’s, the Big Hole was the biggest diamond mining location in South Africa. Imagine a hand-dug hole the size of eight football fields and you have some idea of the labour that went into creating the Big Hole. While no longer an opulent den dotted with valuable diamonds, the Big Hole functions as an intriguing open-air visitor experience surrounded by original buildings hailing from the diamond-rush heyday while providing insight into diamonds, diamond mining and the processing of rough diamonds. Visitors can also enjoy an excursion underground in a recreated mine shaft.
- Day 3: discover the historical village of Matjiesfontein
Disembark the train and find yourself swept away into yesteryear as you step into the picturesque village of Matjiesfontein. This charming Victorian railway village remains perfectly preserved and is a National Monument. Stroll the atmospheric streets and keep an eye open for classic buildings such as the old courthouse which dates back to 1879. Alongside the courthouse stands a Cape Gothic church and various examples of typically Victorian and traditional Cape Karoo architecture.
Mid-morning depart for Cape Town via Worcester. You will arrive in the ‘Mother City’ early evening. Cape Town's coastal setting is jaw-dropping. This remarkably beautiful city nestled at the base of Table Mountain has a lot to offer. We recommend a minimum stay of four nights to discover all its key attractions.
Prices & Dates
Jan: 5, 10, 12, 19, 26
Feb: 2, 7, 9, 14, 16, 21, 23
Mar: 2, 7, 9, 14, 16, 21, 23, 30
Apr: 6, 13, 20, 27
May: 4, 11, 18, 25
Jun: 1, 8, 15, 22, 27, 29
Jul: 6, 13, 20, 27
Aug: 3, 10, 15, 17, 24, 29, 31
Sep: 7, 12, 14, 21, 26, 28
This journey also runs in reverse, contact us for details.
Prices (based on 2 passengers sharing)
|Pullman Suite||Deluxe Suite||Royal Suite|
2 nights’ accommodation on board the Rovos Rail • All meals from afternoon tea on day 1 to lunch on day 3 • All alcoholic and other beverages (except French champagne) • Excursions and entrance and park fees as described in the itinerary
International flights • Travel insurance • Gratuities • Items of a personal nature • French champagne
The train is made up of a lounge car, dining car(s), smoking lounge and an observation car at the tail. There are three different suites available on the Rovos Rail; Pullman, Deluxe and Royal which can accommodate a maximum of 72 guests.
The spacious suites offer passengers the opportunity to travel in privacy, comfort and luxury, with fittings and facilities that are of the highest standard. All are equipped with a writing surface and a personal safe for valuables. There is also a bar fridge filled with beverages of the passengers’ choice and room service is available 24 hours a day. In the en-suite bathrooms, original fittings combine with the modern technology of hot showers, hair dryers and shaver plugs.
The Pullman Suites (approximately 7 square metres) are equipped with a comfortable sofa-seat during the day with a conversion to double or twin beds for the evening, and they also have an en-suite bathroom with shower.
The Deluxe Suites (approximately 10 square metres) accommodate two passengers in either twin or double beds and have a lounge area and an en-suite bathroom with shower.
The Royal Suites, each of which take up half a carriage, are spacious and elegant measuring approximately 16 square metres in size. Each has its own private lounge area and full bathroom with Victorian bath and separate shower. The epitome of luxury with handsome wood panelling and period Edwardian features, the air-conditioned suites accommodate two people offering the option of side-by-side twin or spacious double beds.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.