Enjoy the capital cities of Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark on this 10 night independent holiday. Marvel at incredible architecture, delve into colourful history and maritime influences, and enjoy the many beautiful parks and waterways these cities offer in abundance. Take the scenic connections by boat and train and enjoy exploring by foot, boat and tram in these spectacular coastal cities
- Visit Helsinki's Fortress of Suomenlinna
- Spend a night on a luxurious Silja ship
- Stroll around Stockholm's old medieval streets
- Soak up the views on the Stockholm to Oslo train
- Enjoy Oslo's lively harbour-front boardwalk
- Watch the changing of the guard at the Queen of Denmark's palace
All four capitals offer visitors a host of activities. They come to life with busy outdoor farmer's markets; there are numerous shops and boutiques that offer everything from sophisticated designer brands to vintage fashions; glass, ceramics, jewellery and other arts and crafts are popular too.
For those looking for a more cultural experience, plenty of art galleries, museums, concert halls and theatres tick that box. Helsinki and Stockholm, with their outer lying islands and waterways, offer plenty of scenic boat trips; Oslo and Copenhagen too, with their proximity to the sea, have many opportunities for getting out onto the water, a great way to spend a sunny afternoon.
And of course, you're spoilt for choice in all of the capitals when it comes to cafes, bars and restaurants with all budgets and tastes catered for, literally!
Contact our Sweden experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: fly to Helsinki
- Fly to Helsinki and spend two nights in one of the centrally located hotels.
- Day 2: explore Helsinki
- The attractive capital of Finland is situated by the Baltic Sea, boasting a 100km shoreline and around 330 offshore islands. It is relaxed with plenty of character, compact enough to explore comfortably under your own steam. The Fortress of Suomenlinna, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is just a 15 minute ferry ride away from Helsinki Market Square on a beautiful island and is a popular place to visit. See examples of neoclassical architecture in the much-photographed Senate Square; numerous Art Nouveau buildings, the most famous being the central railway station, and many modernist creations by the world renowned architect, Alvar Aalto. Helsinki’s architecture, punctuated by numerous parks and gardens, inviting bistros and cafes as well as the buzz that always surrounds the area by the harbour, combine to make this a lovely place to begin your trip.
- Day 3: Helsinki - Stockholm
- Morning and early afternoon in Helsinki, then make your way to the port in time for your overnight cruise to Stockholm. Set sail at 17:00, enjoying an extended sunset, its magical light reflecting off the calm waters. Watch the lights of the city fade as the Silja Symphony or Silja Serenade sails out through the archipelago then head below deck to a wide central promenade where you’ll find Duty Free shops and entertainment, and enjoy dinner before retiring to your cabin.
- Day 4: Stockholm
- Arrive in the Swedish capital around 09:30, make you way to your hotel for a two-night stay.
- Day 5: explore Stockholm
- With 14 islands connected via a network of waterways and more than 50 bridges, Stockholm is known as ‘the Venice of the north’ and is undoubtedly one of the world’s most beautiful capitals. Stroll around the narrow cobbled streets of Gamla Stan, the old town with one of the best preserved medieval city centres; visit the Royal Palace and Stockholm Cathedral; and enjoy a wealth of shopping and sightseeing opportunities. Be like a Swede and take a ‘fika’, a coffee break Swedish style - coffee followed by something sweet to eat. Take a trip to the island of Djurgården, home to the impressively preserved warship Vasa; visit Skansen, the oldest open-air museum in the world or Astrid Lindgren’s Junibacken. For something a little more up-beat, visit Abba The Museum, an interactive exhibition about the famous pop band. Perhaps take a boat trip amongst Stockholm’s stunning archipelago with 30,000 islands, islet rocks and skerries. And definitely enjoy the Swedish cuisine!
- Day 6: Stockholm - Oslo
- Sit back and enjoy the scenic 6 hour journey by train, passing farmland, lakes, picturesque towns and villages. The direct train departs at 08.29 or 15.25. Make your way to the hotel and spend two nights in Oslo.
- Day 7: explore Oslo
- Conveniently located on Oslofjord, means Norway’s capital boasts the best of the city life as well as wonderful nature on its doorstep. Explore the medieval Akershus Fortress and the famous Vigeland Sculpture Park; visit the Fram Museum, dedicated to the strongest wooden, Polar ship ever built, or climb the impressive structure at Holmenkollen ski museum, and enjoy spectacular views from the top of the jump. The ever popular Aker Brygge area, with its mix of distinctive buildings reclaimed from its shipyard heritage and impressive modern architecture, has a lively harbour-front boardwalk and a wealth of outdoor dining and entertainment venues. From here, take a fjord cruise, an evening live music boat trip or even a Pirate cruise, always a family favourite.
- Day 8: Oslo - Copenhagen
- Morning at leisure, then make your way to the harbour in time for the overnight sailing to Copenhagen, departing at 16:30. Stay overnight in a cabin, aboard a DFDS ship complete with a variety of dining and entertainment facilities.
- Day 9: Copenhagen
- Arrive in Copenhagen around 09:45, make you way to your hotel for a two-night stay.
- Day 10: Copenhagen
- Denmark’s capital has a ‘small and friendly’ appeal and is easy to explore. See the statue of The Little Mermaid, visit the 100 year old amusement park, Tivoli Gardens and take a guided tour of Christiania, the ‘freetown’ beloved of creative types with its interesting architecture, cheap eats and live music. Nyhavn is a 17th Century waterfront area full of brightly coloured houses and a bewildering choice of lively bars and restaurants. The pedestrian shopping street, Strøget, has something for everyone and there are some impressively regal palaces to visit; Amalienborg, the main residence of the Queen of Denmark, is considered to be one of the greatest works of Danish Rococco architecture, and the daily changing of the guard here is always popular.
- Day 11: depart Copenhagen
- Return to the airport and check in for your flight.
- This is a flexible trip and can be easily extended to include Malmo and the Skane region of southern Sweden - talk to our travel specialists to discuss your options.
- The weather can cause serious delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in country will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Year Round - 2018|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request
Price includes direct flights between London Gatwick and Helsinki and Copenhagen and London Gatwick; airport taxes and charges; 2 nights at Hotel GLO Art in Helsinki; 2 nights at Hotel C Stockholm in Stockholm; 2 nights at Hotel Thon Cecil in Oslo; 2 nights at Imperial Hotel in Copenhagen; all hotels based on a breakfast basis; Tallink Silja Line sea crossing between Helsinki and Stockholm with dinner and breakfast; DFDS crossing between Oslo and Copenhagen with breakfast; train between Stockholm and Oslo.
Price excludes transfers between hotels and airport, train station or ferry ports; taxi journeys; additional meals other than stated above, optional excursions and personal expenses.
Please note, there are a wide range of accommodation choices in the different cities, ranging for the more budget concious customer to a higher category of hotel, and can be located in different areas of the city centre. Please discuss your preferences with our Sales team.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.