If you thought Lapland was only a winter destination, think again! Bathed in the glow of the midnight sun, this five-day holiday takes you on a free-spirited self-drive right across the Arctic Circle in Sweden. You’ll get the chance to try summer activities like mountain biking, hiking and white water rafting. And best of all, you get to stay in two of Lapland’s most iconic properties: the seriously cool Icehotel 365 and the head-spinning Treehotel.
- Experience the midnight sun over the spectacular wilderness of Lapland
- Spend two nights at Icehotel 365 near Kiruna north of the Arctic Circle
- Spend two nights at Treehotel in the village of Harads further south
- Explore the region at your own pace with the flexibility of a hire car
- Take your pick from an exciting range of optional summer activities
- Extend your break, staying at our pick of other wonderful properties
The ultimate Lapland road trip
Take two points in Swedish Lapland – Kiruna 200km above the Arctic Circle and Lulea on the shores of the Baltic Sea – and you have the start and finish posts for an unforgettable summer self-drive. With long hours of daylight, excellent roads and little traffic, driving in Lapland during summer is not only easy, but you’ll have plenty of time to dawdle and enjoy the stunning views of pristine forests, sparkling lakes and distant mountains.
The new Icehotel 365 summer experience
Be one of the first to experience Icehotel 365 during summer. Unlike the seasonal Icehotel, which melts each spring, Icehotel 365 uses solar technology (cleverly concealed in a ‘living’ wildflower roof) to maintain its interior at sub-zero temperatures. Even when it is 20°C outside you will still be able to experience the magic of a ‘night on ice’ at this world-famous hotel. Your two-night stay includes one night in either an Art Suite or Deluxe Suite – spectacular ice rooms adorned with extraordinary sculptures by the world’s finest ice artists. Each Deluxe Suite has its own heated bathroom and sauna. Your second night is spent in a hotel-style room, while optional summer activities available include paddle boarding, fishing, white water rafting, mountain biking and hiking.
A room with a view at Treehotel
With a choice of seven ingenious ‘tree rooms’ that seem to float through the forest canopy, the Treehotel is the second remarkable place you’ll stay at on this summer self-drive. The newest addition, Room 7, has a stargazing net and large windows with views across the Lule River Valley. Then there’s the perfectly mirrored Cube, the camouflaged Bird’s Nest, the gravity-defying Cabin and mesmerising UFO – each one a unique creation by Scandinavia’s leading architects. Suspended 4-10 metres above ground, all tree rooms have a stylish interior with underfloor heating and bathroom. Your stay includes one night in a tree room and one night at Britta’s Guesthouse – Treehotel’s cosy reception lodge where you can also enjoy breakfast and dinner and plan optional activities ranging from fishing and canoeing to horse riding, hiking and mountain biking.
Extend your trip
We can easily extend your holiday to include more of Swedish Lapland’s amazing accommodation. Combining perfectly with Icehotel 365 and the Treehotel, you could spend a night glamping in a traditional Sami laavu tent, explore the breathtaking wilderness of the Laponia World Heritage Site from a mountain station or relax in a traditional wooden lodge sampling Lapland cuisine and hospitality.
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: fly to Swedish Lapland
- Fly to Kiruna and on arrival collect your rental car. Drive the short distance (14km) to Icehotel 365 in the village of Jukkasjarvi. Overnight in an Art Suite or Deluxe Suite on breakfast basis.
- Day 2: activities at Icehotel 365
- The long summer days give you plenty of time to explore the area by foot or car. There are also several activities at Icehotel 365 which can be pre-booked. Overnight in a warm Kaamos room or larger chalet on breakfast basis.
- Day 3: drive to Treehotel
- After checking out, drive south on wonderful tree-lined roads through the unspoilt wilderness of Swedish Lapland to Harads, home of the Treehotel (distance 295km, approximate time 3.5 hours). Overnight in one of the unique tree rooms on a half board basis.
- Day 4: time at leisure
- Enjoy the peaceful forest, pre-book an optional activity or relax in the tree sauna (supplements apply). Overnight at Britta’s Guesthouse, enjoying delicious home cooking on half board basis.
- Day 5: depart Lulea
- Drive to Lulea airport (87km, approximate driving time 1 hour 15 minutes) and return your rental car in time for your flight home.
Prices & Dates
|Price per person from||Jun - Sep 2018|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room and cabin. Child prices on request
Price includes: return flights between London and Kiruna via Stockholm; 5 days car rental with Europcar in a Group C car (VW Golf or similar) including unlimited mileage, CDW, Sat Nav and tax; airport taxes; 1 night in an Art Suite and 1 night in Kaamos room at Icehotel on breakfast basis; 1 night in a tree room and 1 night in Britta’s Guesthouse on half board basis.
Price excludes: Car rental one-way charge to be paid locally of SEK 680; Europcar insurance upgrades; petrol; meals other than those stated; personal expenses.
Departures based on 15th June to 30th September :
Flights are available from London Gatwick with Norwegian Air and from London Heathrow with Scandinavian airlines to Kiruna via Stockholm, and returning from Lulea via Stockholm. Please check with our Sales team the flight details relevant to your travel dates.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.