How amazing would it be to celebrate the dawn of a New Year somewhere as pristine and unspoilt as an ice hotel in Swedish Lapland? Under the clear dark skies of the polar night keep watch for nature’s own light show, the northern lights, chink ice glasses and celebrate in style.
- enjoy a glass of bubbly before a New Year's Eve candlelit dinner
- see the new year in around a traditional bonfire
- retire to the Icebar for a celebratory cocktail
- chance of seeing the magical northern lights - more about the aurora »
With the Icehotel still looking particularly festive after the Christmas celebrations, New Year here tends to be a more romantic affair. As there are more huskies than people in Jukkasjärvi and its surrounds, people here prefer not to set off fireworks in case they scare the dogs hence the traditional bonfire.
As with our Christmas trip, there is just one departure so spaces are strictly limited!
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Kiruna - Icehotel
- Fly from the UK to Kiruna direct and transfer to Jukkasjärvi. Check in at the Icehotel for 4 nights (one in an Ice Room, three nights in a warm room) and get kitted out in your thermal clothing, on loan for the duration of your stay. Then have a guided tour around the Icehotel.
- Day 2: At leisure
- At the Icehotel enjoy the scenic surroundings or perhaps join one of the optional activities.
- Day 3: New Year’s Eve at the Icehotel
- Enjoy a buffet breakfast in the restaurant then the day is free to explore your scenic surrounds on one of the many optional excursions from husky sledding to snowmobiling. In the evening, enjoy a complimentary glass of champagne before a delicious à la carte dinner. Then head back to the Icehotel, wrap up warm and stand around a traditional bonfire within a circle of candles down by the frozen River Torne, faces aglow as the countdown to midnight begins.
- Day 4: New Year's Day
- At the Icehotel after a late night you might wish to have a lazy morning. Alternatively, there will be plenty of things to do should you wish to be more active - don’t forget, it is advisable to book the optional excursions in advance, or at least soon after check in to ensure availability.
- Day 5: Icehotel - Kiruna
- Morning at leisure, perhaps to have one last look around the Icehotel or take part in another optional activity before transferring to the airport for the flight home.
- If you wish to substitute your night in a cold room for another in warm accommodation, please contact us to check availability.
- We strongly advise you to pre-book your optional activities during the festive season.
- The weather in Sweden can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in Sweden will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
The sure-footed Icelandic horse will be your mount for the …
Drive your own reindeer sledge on this memorable excursion.…
Meet the reindeer and encounter the unique culture of the S…
Few things are as memorable as dinner under the stars.
Prices & Dates
Prices in £ per person
|Per person (4 nights)||29 Dec 2016|
|Child, aged 8-11*||£827|
Price includes return direct flights between London Heathrow and Kiruna (with complimentary in-flight meal, beer, wine and soft drinks); 3 nights in a Kaamos room and 1 night in an Ice Room; morning sauna and breakfast; a New Year’s Eve gala dinner; services of a Discover the World representative; airport transfers, airport taxes and a thermal one-piece suit, hat, boots and mittens to use while staying at the Icehotel and Northern Lights Bradt guide.
** Single - single traveller in an Ice Room combined with a Kaamos Room
*** Child prices are based on sharing with 2 adults
2016 Departure Date
Direct flight - London-Kiruna | Flight time - 3.5 hours
29 December 2016 - depart London Heathrow at 10:35, arrive Kiruna at 15:00
02 January 2017 - depart Kiruna at 14:30, arrive London Heathrow at 16:55
Please note all timings are local.
- Premium Class Flight Upgrade
- Accommodation Upgrades
- Special Transfers from Airport
Please contact our Travel Specialists for details of these upgrades.
How to book
Due to the tailor made nature of many of our holidays, we are unable to offer online booking or live availability checks.
Therefore, in order that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability please complete and submit the form below specifying your intended travel dates, duration and number of people travelling. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
Speak to a specialist: 01737 214 250Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.