Explore the Swedish countryside by bike, canoe and on foot on this active holiday aimed at the true outdoorsman. Taking advantage of long summer days, experience the stunning lakes and dense forests of Varmland in central Sweden for a one-of-a-kind holiday.
- cycle through lush green forests, stopping only to cool off in the rich blue country lakes
- hike on the Butorp trail, one of the most beautiful areas of the Värmland County
- canoe down the winding waterways of Sweden's lakes
- enjoy setting up camp and fall asleep in your own tent
Hiking down an isolated trail in Sweden's Varmland, or canoing through the towering beauty of the forest, you might think that this area was specially made for the outdoor lover. Criss-crossed with walking trails, cycle tracks and rivers that are just begging to be paddled, there are few places in Europe that offer the variety of outdoor experiences that are packed into this one corner of Sweden.
Flying into the Norwegian capital Oslo, you will take a train to the city centre where you change lines and continue by train to Karlstad. On arrival you are met by a guide and transferred (approx. 40 minutes) to the small village of Olsäter and to the Klaralvsbanan Guesthouse, your base for the trip and accommodation for 5 out of the 7 nights stay. Meet your hosts and guides who will provide details of the weeks events before enjoying their hospitality and home cooked meal. Please note, there are three guest rooms with own bathroom and two family rooms whcih share a bathroom.
The following morning the adventure begins, the next six days you will hike, bike and canoe through the wilderness, taking in the whispering forests, mirrored lakes and bubbling rivers for which Sweden is renowned, camping out in nature and be a guest in a cosy farmhouse. Meals at the guesthouse are served in the large tipi tent in the grounds.
This is the perfect setting for an active holiday for friends and couples alike who want to try something more challenging as they truly get away from the hustle and bustle and into a beautiful tranquil region of Varmland.
Call our Sweden experts now
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: Travel to Värmland
- On arrival at Oslo airport, take the train to Oslo Central station and change for the service to Karlstad station. From here you will be met by a guide and transferred (approx. 40 minutes) to Klaralvsbanan Guesthouse in Olsäter, your base for 7 nights where you stay in comfortable rooms with bathroom. You have a welcome dinner and receive programme information by your guides.
- Day 2: Hiking the Pino Trail
- Following breakfast, remember to collect your lunch pack and equipment. You receive an introduction to the GPS and maps before making your way through the forests around Olsater to Butorp, towards the beautiful lake of Hastatjarna and on the Pino trail to the shores of Grasmangen. Here you spend the night in a tent and cook your meal over a camp fire. Today's walk is approximately 14km.
- Day 3: Trek to Olsater
- An early morning rise to the sound of birds, make your breakfast and head off on foot again for your second day hiking. Join the trail and enjoy the beautiful scenery walking at a leisurely pace back towards Olsater and the guesthouse. Time to relax while a well deserved evening meal is prepared. Walk approximately 12km.
- Day 4: Active day of cycling
- Swapping leg power for pedal power, grab your back pack and lunch for an active day of mountain biking along the gravel roads around the hills of Vastra Orten. The round trip is about 35km, cycling at your own pace while enjoying the long summer days in this wonderful part of wild Sweden.
- Day 5: Day to relax or optional activities
- A day to relax at the guesthouse and enjoy the peaceful surroundings. For the more active, perhaps go for a walk or use the bikes and the lake is always welcoming for a swim or a spot of fishing.
- Day 6: Canoe on the Klaralven river
- After breakfast, make sure you have all the necessary equipment and pack up the canoes for a fun couple of days on the water. You will start on the Klaralven river and paddle on the calm waterways and lakes, enjoying the scenery as you float towards the uninhabited islands on the Vastra Orten. Decide which of the islands you wish to claim and set up camp, making a fire, putting up the tent (provided) and cook your meal over the camp fire for a wilderness night adventure.
- Day 7: Continue canoeing along the river
- Get the fire started again for a brew and breakfast, then pack up your camp for another day paddling on the lakes where the end point will be Lerssjon Lake. Once here you will be met and driven back to the guesthouse for a hot shower and rest, followed by a hot dinner. The distance paddled today is about 17km.
- Day 8: Transfer back to Karlstad
- After breakfast, check out of Klaralvsbanan Guesthouse and join the transfer to Karlstad in time to catch the train to Oslo or Stockholm, then to the airport. Perhaps extend your stay for a night or two in the city for some sightseeing
Please note we recommend participants to be in fairly good shape and have good physical ability .
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||16 Jun - 02 Sep 2018|
|Child (10 to 15 years)||£598|
Price includes return flights between London Gatwick and Oslo; all airport taxes and charges; train from oslo airport to Karlstad via Oslo central; return transfers from Karlstad to Olsäter; accommodation at Klarälvsbanan guesthouse for 5 nights; 7-night activity package based on full board (starting with dinner on day 1 to breakfast on day 8); all the maps, camping gear and equipment needed for the entire trip.
Price excludes extra snacks and drinks; appropriate clothing and backpacks. It is recommended to have some raingear, hiking boots, long sleeve shirts, long trousers, cap, sunglasses, sun screen and mosquito repellant and a backpack to carry the essentials like water, lunch, first aid kit and spare clothes.
Prices are based on the lowest available flight fare – if this is unavailable at the time of booking, a supplement will apply. All holidays and prices are subject to availability.
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.