Three Arctic beauties have been combined on this seven-night holiday to form an unforgettable northern lights adventure. Abisko National Park in Swedish Lapland steals the limelight as the ultimate aurora hotspot. You will also visit the super-cool Icehotel and far-flung Tromso – both full of aurora potential and exciting winter activities.
- Ride a chairlift to Abisko’s Aurora Sky Station in search of the northern lights
- Spend a night sleeping on ice at Swedish Lapland’s world-famous Icehotel
- Explore the charismatic Arctic city of Tromso on the coast of northern Norway
- Enjoy optional excursions such as snowmobiling and husky sledding
- Travel by coach and train through spectacular Lapland scenery
City sights and northern lights in Tromso
Hugging the shoreline of an island 350km north of the Arctic Circle, Tromso is known as the ‘Paris of the North’. As well as numerous cafés, bars and galleries, the city has an eye-catching cathedral and a Polar Museum celebrating Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen. Optional excursions include aurora-hunting trips in the surrounding mountains, away from the bright city lights.
Aurora watching in Abisko National Park
A scenic journey by coach and train takes you from Tromso to Abisko National Park in Swedish Lapland, passing the striking U-shaped valley of Lapporten.The Abisko National Park offers excellent Northern Light viewing opportunities with a stunning 360° lake and mountain landscape and vast open skies.
Staying at Abisko Mountain Station, you’ll take a chairlift up to the Aurora Sky Station – one of the world’s best spots for viewing the northern lights. With luck you will witness the aurora illuminate the night skies over Abisko – renowned for their clarity and lack of clouds.
Experience the magic of the Icehotel
Continuing by train to Kiruna, keeping watch for reindeer and moose, you’re then transferred to the Icehotel for a three-night stay. One night will be spent ‘sleeping on ice’, a once-in-a-lifetime experience, with the remaining two nights in chalet-style ‘warm’ accommodation. As well as exploring the Icehotel, admiring its stunning suites and raising an ice glass at the Icebar, you will have two full days to enjoy some of the numerous optional excursions available – from aurora hunting by snowmobile, horseback or husky sled to ice sculpting, and winter survival. For a spot of indulgence, we recommend the sauna ritual and starlit dinner.
Contact our Sweden experts now
After our evening meal we went up the chair lift to the Abisko sky station to wait for the Northern Lights and saw an amazing display - we couldn't have asked for anything more!Susan Day, Tromso, Abisko and Icehotel
Our stay at the Icehotel was an incredible experience and we were truly blessed to have seen the northern lightsPatricia Weston & Lorina Hornby, Tromso, Abisko & the Icehotel
Itinerary & Accommodation
- Day 1: depart to Tromso
- Fly to Tromsø and make your way to Tromsø city centre and spend 3 nights at the Scandic Ishavshotel. Other hotels are also available.
- Days 2-3: Tromsø
- Time at leisure to explore Tromsø, also known as the 'Paris of the North'. There are many optional excursions during the daytime and evening on offer.
- Day 4: Tromsø - Abisko
Make your way to Tromsø bus station for an early departure and take the scenic coach journey to Narvik train station (4 hours). Then take the train and travel through the mountains to Abisko (1 hour and 45 minutes). The bus and train times do vary depending on the day of travel. Walk the short distance and check in at Abisko Mountain Station. After dinner take the chairlift (a 15 minute walk* from your accommodation) to Aurora Sky Station. It's advisable to wrap up as the temperature drops as you ascend - additional clothing or a blanket will be provided on the chairlift should you need it. After the 20 minute ride, step out onto the mountain top and look out for the aurora borealis which will hopefully be visible. Spectacular displays have been known to fill the entire sky here for around two hours but it must be remembered that this is a natural phenomena and therefore sightings cannot be guaranteed. Warm up in the summit café, take a look at the exhibition and enjoy being in the company of other eager aurora seekers. Take the chairlift down, head back to the hotel and perhaps enjoy a warming drink in the bar before retiring.
Please note due to the nature of the Abisko Sky Station chairlift experience we do not recommended for children under the age of 12 years.
- Day 5: Abisko - Kiruna - Icehotel
- Travel by rail to Kiruna and transfer to Jukkasjarvi, home of the Icehotel. Check in for a 3 night stay (1 night in an Ice Room, 2 nights in a warm room). Take a guided tour of this amazing ice construction, designed and built every year, a concept that has been literally ‘wowing’ guests for over 20 years. You’ll also have time to get kitted out with your one piece thermal suit, boots and gloves which will be loaned to you for the duration of your stay at the Icehotel.
- Days 6-7: at leisure
- Participate in optional activities or simply enjoy the beautiful surroundings. To ensure availability it is advisable to book certain activities and excursions in advance.
- Day 8: depart the Icehotel
- Check out of the Icehotel and transfer to Kiruna Airport for your flight back home.
- Due to the coach and train connections in Narvik on day 4, if the travel day from Tromso is either a Saturday or Sunday it is necessary to reduce the stay in Tromso by 1 night and stay overnight in Narvik in order to catch the train to Abisko the following day.
- It is also possible to operate this itinerary in reverse.
- You can fly direct between London Heathrow and Kiruna - available on set dates only - see prices & departures.
- Option to extend your stay: To see more of the beautiful Norwegian coastline, why not extend your stay and join a Hurtigruten voyage to Kirkenes. Alternatively, with flights operating via Oslo and Stockholm, it is also possible to extend your stay in one or both of these Scandinavian capitals. Please contact our team to discuss your options.
- Please note the northern lights are a naturally occurring phenomena and sightings cannot be guaranteed.
- The weather can be unpredictable and therefore can cause substantial delays which can result in the need to re-arrange or extend your holiday itinerary. Whilst we and our contacts in country will do everything possible to minimise any disruption, it is important that you check the details of your travel insurance and allow for some flexibility in your plans.
Abisko Mountain Station
- Grade: Standard
- Type: Hotel
Exclusive to Discover the World in the UK, Abisko Mounta…
- Grade: Superior
- Type: Unique and Boutique
This inspiring and totally 'cool' hotel provides both wa…
Tromso - Kjetil Skogli: Kjetil Skogli is an expert on findi…
Experience the everyday life of a reindeer herding family a…
Journeying out from the northern hub of Tromso, you will jo…
Tromso - Villmarkssenter: A brief excursion by dog sled.
The sure-footed Icelandic horse will be your mount for the …
Tromso - Lyngsfjord : This excursion will take you to Camp …
Few things are as memorable as dinner under the stars.
Prices & Dates
|Per person prices from||Dec to Apr (2018-19)|
Twin price is based on 2 adults sharing a twin/double room. Child prices on request
Prices include scheduled flights between London Heathrow and Tromso via Oslo, and between Kiruna and London Heathrow via Stockholm; coach between Tromso and Narvik; train between Narvik and Kiruna via Abisko; 3 nights at Scandic Ishavshotel in Tromso, 1 night at the Abisko Mountain Station, 3 nights at the Icehotel (1 night in an Ice Room and 2 nights in warm Kaamos room) on a breakfast basis throughout, plus evening meal at Abisko; return chairlift to the Aurora Sky Station; use of thermal suit, boots and gloves during your stay at the Icehotel (additional clothing is also provided for your trip to the Aurora Sky Station) and all taxes.
Prices exclude transfers in Tromso, any relevant transfers in Narvik, meals other than mentioned and personal expenses.
- If you are travelling over Christmas or New Year a supplement will apply.
- Should it not be possible to operate the Abisko Sky Station chairlift due to adverse weather reasons, you can often view the northern lights from the national park or even the terrace at the Abisko Mountain Station. Due to the nature of the chairlift experience it is not recommended for children under the age of 12 years.
- Scheduled Flights operate daily and airfares are based on the lowest available fare, should this not be available at the time of booking a supplement will apply. All holidays and prices are subject to availability.
Direct flight upgrade
Direct Flight Departures 2018/19
London Heathrow to Kiruna
15 Dec 2018
19 & 26 Jan; 09, 16 & 23 Feb; 02 Mar 2019
Kiruna to London Heathrow
18 Dec 2018
22 & 29 Jan; 12, 19 & 26 Feb; 05 Mar 2019
How to book
So that we may send you a personalised quote and confirmation of availability, please click on the link below and complete our Enquiry form. One of our Travel Specialists will then be in touch to complete your booking or answer any further questions you might have.
We will always offer the best price available at the time of booking and guarantee no surcharges - see our 100% Guarantee for full details.
Speak to a specialist: 1-844-584-0668Book this trip
Our team of Travel Specialists have extensive first-hand knowledge of our destinations and are passionate about travel.