The benefits of overseas residential field trips are vast; such trips are becoming increasingly recognised as an important, irreplaceable part of understanding your subject in the real world, not to mention being an excellent opportunity for team building and personal development. Yet it is important trips are well managed and you travel with a tour operator that takes safety very seriously, not only for your group’s well being and safety but also for your peace of mind.
On a Discover the World trip, health and safety issues are a top priority. To that end we have a full and comprehensive Safety Management System.
We are accredited members of the School Travel Forum, a Department for Children, Schools and Families initiative that recognises good practice in the field of educational visits, especially with regard to health and safety.
We have also been awarded the Quality badge by Learning Outside the Classroom. This means that we have already been pre-approved by the Outdoor Educators Advisory Panel. This award recognises the commitment to the benefits of educational travel, whilst ensuring strict safety standards are met at all times.
We are also members of British Schools in the Middle East and The Council for British International Schools.
Safety Management System
- Discover the World promotes a 'health and safety culture' throughout the company.
- The accommodation, excursions and transport offered to your group all have the necessary insurance and safety certificates and we only use suppliers who have passed the necessary audits.
- For each destination you will be supplied with a detailed risk assessment, which are constantly monitored and updated to keep your workload to a minimum.
- Teacher Inspections trips are recommended before your group visit and are often an LEA requirement. Free or discounted inspection trips are available to you if you are planning a group trip with Discover the World.
- Read our helpful tips to assist you with your trip planning and safety management.
- In addition to working closely with you throughout the planning of your trip, we will provide 24 hour support to your group whilst you are away, giving complete peace of mind.
HSE - tackling the Health and Safety Myths
A large number of school visits take place successfully each year. However, misunderstandings about health and safety law can sometimes discourage schools and teachers from organising these activities. To tackle some of the myths about red tape and prosecution, HSE has published a policy statement to encourage all schools (in both maintained and independent sectors) and local authorities to remove wasteful bureaucracy imposed on those involved in organising school visits and outdoor learning activities.
Find out more and read the high-level statement on the HSE website